Athletic Council Procedures for Review of Physical Activity Instructors
Each year, Athletic Council will conduct a review of a portion of the physical activity staff. The review will take place on a rotating basis, one-third of the physical activity staff being evaluated every year.
- The Athletic Director will formulate and submit to Athletic Council a list of physical activity staff, ranking them in order beginning with the most recent hire to the most senior teacher. In the first year of the review, faculty members of Athletic Council will evaluate the five most recent hires; in the second year, they will review the second third, and in the third year, faculty will review the final third, the most senior physical activity teachers.
- As part of the review process, the faculty members of Athletic Council will evaluate the following materials, culled for the period since the last review:
- The Athletic Director’s annual performance evaluations for each teacher
- All relevant teaching documents, including syllabi, handouts, and exams
- Student teaching evaluations (long and short form)
- Class visitation reports written by Athletic Council faculty members
- The procedure for class visits:
- Prior to the class visits, the Athletic Director will provide to Athletic Council the course objectives for the relevant courses.
- Faculty members of the committee, including the Faculty Athletic Representative, will visit at least two class sessions, one each semester, to assess teaching performance. The visits will be shared equally among the four faculty members. If a faculty member has any questions or seeks clarification about what she/he has observed, she/he may consult with the Athletic Director.
- In the spring semester, following the completion of all class visits, each faculty will write a report summarizing his/her observations. The four evaluators will meet with the Athletic Director to discuss their findings prior to submitting the class visit reports to Athletic Council.
- The committee, not including the student representatives, will convene to review the materials in #3 above and will write a detailed letter about each physical activity teacher. The committee will submit these letters to the Athletic Director, the Dean of Student Affairs, and the Dean of the Faculty.