What is a typical assessment process?
Each academic faculty will want to develop a process that best fits its context, but assessment is most clearly viewed as a cycle:
- Determine the goals or student learning objectives for the program, and/or determine what the key questions are that you have about your students and how well they are learning what you are trying to teach them.
- Decide upon the methods to assess those.
- Assess the goals or learning objectives.
- Discuss the results, determining whether any of the curriculum content, courses, or pedagogy needs to be changed.
- Implement the changes. At this point, you might also change some of the goals or the methods used to assess the program.
- Assess the revised curriculum.
- Discuss the results of the assessment.
- ... and so forth.