Judith A. Halstead
Professor of Chemistry
Office: Dana 221
- B.A. 1974, State University of New York, Binghamton
- Ph.D. 1979, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
At Skidmore since 1987
Professor Halstead is the author or co-author of more than two dozen scientific and pedagogical articles in journals such as Atmospheric Environment, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Journal of Chemical Education, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Journal of Geoscience Education and Journal of Physical Chemistry. In addition, she is the author of two book chapters on the kinetics of reactions at a solid-gas interface and the co-author of a chapter on avian foraging behavior. Professor Halstead and her Skidmore College undergraduate collaborators are currently working on the development and refinement of analytical techniques for the determination of trace levels of pollutants in natural waters. The water chemistry of lakes and streams in Saratoga County and the Adirondack Park is also of interest to Professor Halstead and her students.
- ES 100 Environmental Concerns in Perspective
- ES 105 Field Studies in Environmental Science
- CH 330 Physical Chemistry I
- CH 332 Physical Chemistry I with laboratory
- CH 331 Physical Chemistry II
- CH 333 Physical Chemistry II with laboratory
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (* indicates undergraduate co-authors)
- Home Energy Conservation Exercise, Journal of Geoscience Education, V51, 521, 2003 (with Steven T. Frey, William R. Moomaw, Caitlin W. Robinson*, Kimberly A. Marsella and John J. Thomas).
- Seed selection by foraging birds. Teaching Animal Behavior in the Laboratory and Field: An Instructor's Manual to Accompany Exploring Animal Behavior in the Laboratory and Field, Bonnie Ploger and Ken Yasukawa ed., Academic Press, San Diego, 83, 2003 (with Monica Ravert-Richter and Kierstin Savastano*).
- Seed selection by foraging birds. Exploring Animal Behavior in the Laboratory and Field, Bonnie Ploger and Ken Yasukawa ed., Academic Press, San Diego, 239, 2003 (with Monica Ravert-Richter and Kierstin Savastano*).
- Potential for Chlorate Interference in Ion Chromatographic Determination of Total Nitrogen in Natural Waters Following Alkaline Persulfate Digestion. Journal of Chromatography A 857, 337, 1999 ( with J. Edwards*, R. J. Soracco and R.W. Armstrong).
- Shaping the Future: CUR Seventh National Conference Continues a National Dialogue. Journal of Chemical Education 75, 1366, 1998.
- Spring Shock: Impact of Spring Snowmelt on Lakes and Streams. Journal of Chemical Education 75, 400, 1998.
AFFILIATED PROGRAMS AND CENTERS