Lecturer of Education Studies
Office: Palamountain, Room 214
Tel: (518) 580-5145
- Ph.D. student, Educational Psychology and Methodology, University at Albany, (2007-present)
- M.S., Educational Counseling, Western Maryland College (1996)
- B.S., Social Studies Education and Psychology majors, Indiana Wesleyan University (1988)
RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Child and adolescent development; Gifted education; Teacher preparation, Instruction and learning, Self-regulation and motivation.
- ED 200 Child Development and Learning
- ED 323 Adolescent Development
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Dai, D.Y., Swanson, J.A, & Cheng, H.. (2011). State of research on giftedness and gifted education: A survey of empirical studies 1998-2010 (April). Gifted Child Quarterly, 55(2), 126-138.
- Swanson, J. A., Miekle, G., Muller, K. & Levy, D. (2011). Commuter student engagement. Graduate poster presentation, University at Albany, Albany, NY
- Dai, D.Y., Swanson, J.A, & Cheng, H.. (2009). State of research on giftedness and gifted education : A survey of empirical studies 1998-2008. Paper presented at AERA annual conference, San Diego, CA.
- Rodd, J. & Swanson, J. A. (2010). The impact of leisure time on motivation as perceived by graduate students. Graduate poster presentation, University at Albany: Albany, NY.
- Swanson, J.A. (2008). A survey and analysis of empirical studies in gifted research. Graduate poster presentation, University at Albany, Albany, NY.
- Swanson, J.A. (2007). On-line Instruction. Elmira College Continuing Education Faculty Training: Elmira, NY.
- Swanson, J. A. (2001). The academic advisor as a counselor. National Academic Advising Association Conference, Northeast Region I Conference: Framingham, Massachusetts.
GRANTS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- University at Albany School of Education VanSlyke Scholarship, 2011
- University at Albany Graduate Student Organization travel grant, 2009
- Adolescence and Youth Development Special Interest Group of the AERA Graduate Student Travel Scholarship, 2009