Editor of Salmagundi
B.A., Queens College
M.A., New York University
Office: Palamountain 325
- EN 311: Recent Fiction
- EN 337: Continental Novel (19th c. European Fiction)
- EN 313/314: Modernist and Contemporary Poetry
- EN 352: Victorian Literature
- EN 363: Politics and the Novel
- EN 217: Film
Teaching and Research Interests:
- Politics and Literature
- Contemporary and Modernist Poetry
- History of Ideas
- Victorian Literature and Culture
- Founder (1965) and editor-in-chief of the quarterly journal Salmagundi
- Founder (1987) and director of the New York State Summer Writers Institute
- Excitable Women, Damaged Men (short stories, 2005)
- The Dictator's Dictation: The Politics of Novels and Novelists (Columbia Univ. Press, 2005)
- Atrocity and Amnesia (Oxford UP, 1985)
- A Book of Common Praise (Ausable, 2002).
- Frequent essays for Harper's, The New Republic and other magazines.
- Short stories have appeared in Yale Review, Harvard Review, etc.