Visiting Assistant Professor
B.A., University of Pennsylvania
M.A., D.A., Syracuse University
Office: Palamountain 334
Teaching and Research Interests:
- Poetry Writing
- Prosody and Poetic Technique
- Performing Arts
- Arts Writing
- Nonfiction Writing
- EN 105: Experiencing the Lively Arts
- EN 105: From One Art Into Another
- EN 213: Poetry
- EN 225: Introduction to Shakespeare
- EN 228: Film Adaptions
- EN 280: Introduction to Nonfiction Writing
- EN 282: Introduction to Poetry Writing
- EN 313: Modernist Poetry
- EN 378: Arts Reviewing and Criticism
Recent Articles and Essays:
- Venera: Poems. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State UP, forthcoming 2014.
- The Art of Gravity: Poems. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State UP, 2011.
- The Long Fault. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State UP, 2008.
- How We Came to Stand on That Shore. Montgomery, AL: River City, 2003.
- The Cutoff: A Sequence. Washington: Word Works, 1995.
- "Why Poems Don’t Count as Song.” The Southern Review 48.4 (Fall 2012): 684-97.
- “The Aesthetics of Contemporary Sonnet Sequences: The Examples of Salter and Muldoon.” Literary Imagination 12.3 (2010): 335-43.
- “Philip Roth’s Master Fictions.” The Southern Review 45.3 (Summer 2009): 497-515.
- “Certain Slants: Learning from Dickinson’s Oblique Precision.” The Emily Dickinson Journal 17.2 (2008): 39-54.
- Dance critic, The Hopkins Review, 2009-present.