"Images of India: Call to Action"
Location: Case Center: Case Gallery
10/04/2012 - 10/11/2012
Time: 7:30 PM - 10:00 PM
The opening event for "Images of India: Call to Action," will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 4 at Case Center Gallery. The exhibition displays a collection of student photography by fourth and fifth grade children from the Okhla slum of New Delhi, India.
After receiving a Skidmore SEE-Beyond Award to teach slum children at the nonprofit, Project WHY, International Affairs and History double-major David Schlenker '13 realized that old methods of teaching English were no longer an option to solve our current global problems. He decided to take his students out of the two-room brick school atop a trash dump and put agency in the learning process back in the hands of his students. The students used photography as a lens to examine their lives from a new perspective while learning English in a context that made sense in their lives. The result is a set of photographs that reveals a different story than what Western audiences might read in newspapers or watch on TV.
Upon return to Skidmore, Schlenker partnered with the Office of the First Year Experience to draw a unique connection between his work, and the similar stories told in this year’s freshman reading selection, "Behind the Beautiful Forevers," by Katherine Boo. The exhibit exposes a new perspective on the stories Boo portrays in her Pulizer Prize-winning book based on her work with slum children in Mumbai. The images further act as a call to action for students to use creative, interdisciplinary solutions to make significant, feasible change.
Attendance Info: "Images of India: Call to Action" will run at Skidmore College from Oct. 4 until October 10 in the Case Gallery in Case Center.
- To use the calendar: click on the grey headers in the right column to see features such as search categories and event details
- To view more information about an event: click the event name in the calendar grid
- To view all events for a specific date: click the date in the calendar grid or the gray plus sign that appears when a day has more events than displayed
- To search for an event: use the search box at the top of the calendar for keywords, or click on the Categories section in the right column to search by pre-selected categories
- To view another month in the calendar: click the letter in the upper left corner, or use the white arrows next to the month name
This service is for those without a valid Skidmore College email account.