Lecture by Dr. Jon Bannon of Siena College: Operator Algebras and Quantum Entanglement
Location: Palamountain Hall: Emerson Auditorium
Time: 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Speaker: Dr. Jon Bannon
Quantum mechanics violently defies common sense, yet the mathematical description of the quantum world performs flawlessly. In this talk, we'll discuss the mathematical description of quantum mechanics, as well as some of its bizarre predictions and predicaments. Particularly we'll introduce the theory of operator algebras as a mathematical framework for quantum entanglement, which captures the imagination via phenomena such as quantum teleportation, quantum cryptography and superdense coding. After introducing the basics and recounting some recent progress, we'll move on to discuss some open problems.
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
- To use the calendar: click on the grey headers in the right column to see features such as search categories and event details
- To view more information about an event: click the event name in the calendar grid
- To view all events for a specific date: click the date in the calendar grid or the gray plus sign that appears when a day has more events than displayed
- To search for an event: use the search box at the top of the calendar for keywords, or click on the Categories section in the right column to search by pre-selected categories
- To view another month in the calendar: click the letter in the upper left corner, or use the white arrows next to the month name
This service is for those without a valid Skidmore College email account.