Territory, Maps and Nation: Creating Geographical Background for Argentine Nationalism
Location: Palamountain Hall: 202
12/03/2012 - 12/03/2012
Time: 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Speaker: Carla Lois
Dr. Lois' talk "Territory, Maps and Nation: Creating Geographical Background for Argentine Nationalism" examines how making maps helped Argentine leaders cultivate national identity in this important South American Country.
Carla Lois holds a doctorate in geography from the University of Buenos Aires. Her research involves topics and perspectives from cultural geography and the history of cartography. Her doctoral dissertation focused on geographic ideas and cartographic representations of the Southern Hemisphere in the Renaissance. As a researcher of the National Council of Scientific and Technical Researches (CONICET), she studies the history of Argentine cartography during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and has published numerous articles and book chapters. Lois is a coeditor (with Hector Mendoza) of Historias de la cartografía de Iberoamérica: Nuevos caminos, viejos problemas (UNAM, INEGI, México, 2009) and a contributor to volume 6 of The History of Cartography, edited by Mark Monmonier (University of Chicago Press). She works as a professor in the Departments of Geography at the University of Buenos Aires and the National University of La Plata.Sponsor:
Latin American Studies
- To use the calendar: click on the grey headers in the right column to see features such as search categories and event details
- To view more information about an event: click the event name in the calendar grid
- To view all events for a specific date: click the date in the calendar grid or the gray plus sign that appears when a day has more events than displayed
- To search for an event: use the search box at the top of the calendar for keywords, or click on the Categories section in the right column to search by pre-selected categories
- To view another month in the calendar: click the letter in the upper left corner, or use the white arrows next to the month name
This service is for those without a valid Skidmore College email account.