All events for May 1, 2013
9:00 AM - 15th Annual Academic Festival
10:00 AM - Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions Information Table
5:00 PM - Burlington, VT happy hour
7:00 PM - 5/01 Boston
7:00 PM - 5/01 Chicago
7:00 PM - 5/01 New York CityTo view more information for these events select View all events at the bottom of the day.
All events for May 17, 2013
10:00 AM - Periclean Scholar Awards Ceremony & Honors Forum Senior Recognition
12:30 PM - Senior Varsity Athlete Recognition Luncheon
2:00 PM - Phi Beta Kappa Induction Ceremony
3:30 PM - Class of 2013 Parents Fund Ceremony
4:30 PM - President's ReceptionTo view more information for these events select View all events at the bottom of the day.
There are no daily events scheduled for today. Be sure to check out the ongoing events for today.
Least-Squares Curve-Fitting Techniques For Improved Medicine Development
Location: Palamountain Hall: Emerson Auditorium
Time: 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Speaker: Charles Bergeron, Ph.D. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
In drug discovery, the effectiveness of medicines is based on fitting the Hill equation (shaped like a sigmoid) to experimental data points. These data points are sometimes noisy, and often fail to cover the full range of the sigmoid. This makes curve-fitting difficult.
In this talk, we qualitatively and quantitatively "explore" the geometric properties of this Hill model (slope and curvature) so as to be able to identify which samples can be fit reliably. In the field of statistical modeling, this "exploration" is called "domain knowledge," and this knowledge is then applied to obtain adequate fits on samples whose fits are uncertain.
This analysis should improve research efforts that aim to use mathematics and computers to develop better medicines and make the drug design process less expensive and time-consuming. This talk should appeal to any student interested in mathematics and scientific inquiry.Sponsor:
Mathematics & Computer Science Department
- To use the calendar: click on the grey headers in the right column to see features such as search categories and event details
- To view more information about an event: click the event name in the calendar grid
- To view all events for a specific date: click the date in the calendar grid or the gray plus sign that appears when a day has more events than displayed
- To search for an event: use the search box at the top of the calendar for keywords, or click on the Categories section in the right column to search by pre-selected categories
- To view another month in the calendar: click the letter in the upper left corner, or use the white arrows next to the month name
This service is for those without a valid Skidmore College email account.