All events for May 1, 2013
9:00 AM - 15th Annual Academic Festival
10:00 AM - Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions Information Table
5:00 PM - Burlington, VT happy hour
7:00 PM - 5/01 Boston
7:00 PM - 5/01 Chicago
7:00 PM - 5/01 New York CityTo view more information for these events select View all events at the bottom of the day.
All events for May 17, 2013
10:00 AM - Periclean Scholar Awards Ceremony & Honors Forum Senior Recognition
12:30 PM - Senior Varsity Athlete Recognition Luncheon
2:00 PM - Phi Beta Kappa Induction Ceremony
3:30 PM - Class of 2013 Parents Fund Ceremony
4:30 PM - President's ReceptionTo view more information for these events select View all events at the bottom of the day.
Ways of Seeing War: Lee Miller and Margaret Bourke-White
Location: Palamountain Hall: Davis Auditorium
Time: 6:00 PM
Speaker: Beth Wilson, Lecturer, SUNY New Paltz
World War II marked a decisive transition point in the development of modern photojournalism, and in the ways that photography functioned in the public sphere. In this talk, the work of two women with distinctly different approaches to their craft—Lee Miller and Margaret Bourke-White—will illustrate some of the key issues arising from the conflict, and the forces at work in shaping how photography was used to represent it.
Miller and Bourke-White make for an especially intriguing series of comparisons, as during the war they covered a number of the same places and events. Following the Allied advance through Europe after D-Day, they both covered major stories such as major bomb damage in Cologne, the suicided family of the Burgomeister of Leipzig, and Buchenwald concentration camp, among others. The difference in their photographs of the selfsame subjects provides an object lesson in the range of photojournalistic responses possible at the time.Sponsor:
Department of Art History
- To use the calendar: click on the grey headers in the right column to see features such as search categories and event details
- To view more information about an event: click the event name in the calendar grid
- To view all events for a specific date: click the date in the calendar grid or the gray plus sign that appears when a day has more events than displayed
- To search for an event: use the search box at the top of the calendar for keywords, or click on the Categories section in the right column to search by pre-selected categories
- To view another month in the calendar: click the letter in the upper left corner, or use the white arrows next to the month name
This service is for those without a valid Skidmore College email account.