Scope News -- Announcements
General Information About Scope PostingA brief introductory warning – do not copy/paste directly from Word into any Scope item. This brings in some background coding that can render your item incorrectly on Web pages. Always copy the text into a text document first, and then copy it into the text editor window, this will remove the nasty background code and make it more workable. You will then be able to add the formatting (bolding, links, spacing, etc). See this blog article for more information.
CMS can only be edited using Firefox 3.0 or higher or IE 7.0 or higher, it does not work with Safari and has not been tested with Chrome or other alternative browsers.
If you are working from home and wish to edit these Scope items, you must be logged in through the Skidmore VPN. Some basic directions are located on the IT website, but you will have to contact IT directly if you have questions or problems with the VPN.
Scope items don’t always appear immediately upon being posted, there is a built-in time delay to prevent overloading our servers with requests. If you must see your item immediately and you have access to the page where it would appear, go to the page and get into Author mode. Under Properties and Actions select “Clear & Update Cache”. That will refresh the page and your item should display. If it still does not, go back to the Scope admin section and double check 1) the start and end dates, particularly the year, and 2) whether you have selected the item to display. Save your changes, go back and clear the cache again. If your item still does not display, contact Jenn Crewell or Liz Katzman for assistance.
Thumbnails and embedded images should be prepared ahead of time in your photo editing program of choice (PhotoShop, etc.).
Announcements are meant to direct your visitors to a specific page advertising an event or something else of importance, so you will need to have the URL handy for the page you are wanting to direct people toward.
Creating the Announcement
Go to http://cmsauthor.skidmore.edu/news/admin/ and log in. Click the “Announcements” link.
To create a new announcement, click the “Create new announcement” link at top right. You will have the following fields to fill out.
- The category is not displayed, so feel free to leave that General or select whatever category you feel suits best.
- The headline is short, 60 characters. Quotation marks do not render properly in headlines, use 'single quotes' instead!
- The web address will be the site or news story you want to link from the brief announcement.
- Make Popup will cause the link to open in a new window, handy if you don’t want your visitors to leave your site.
- The short description is what will appear when people roll over the headline. If there is a date associated with an event in the announcement, be sure to include it in the short description. People don’t always click the link to go and visit the web page that you’re advertising in your announcement, so you want them to get the basic info from the short description as much as possible.
When you have finished here, click “On to step 2”.
Displaying the Announcement
You will next see a list of the sites you are allowed to post items on. You will have the following fields to fill out.
- Display determines whether the announcement is visible on a page or not. Change the Display dropdown to “yes” for any site on which you want to display the announcement.
- Priority is a way to sort the order of your announcements. A priority 1 item will appear above a Priority 2 item, all other things being equal, etc. All items are at Priority 2 by default, which allows a new item to automatically bump off an older item if there is no more room on your feed (usually a max of 2 announcements can display at one time). Setting other defaults forces a specific order to your items, but also will cause the automatic bump-by-date to not work as expected for those announcements. Choose your priority for your announcement.
- Start and End dates determine when your item is displayed. Enter your start and end date. Your item must have both a start and an end date, or it will not display! Default is current date for both.
- The “make all” boxes on the right are useful for those people administering multiple sites. You can enter the display, priority, and date information for one site, and then use the "make all" boxes to copy those settings to the rest of the sites you have posting rights for.
When you have finished with these options, at the bottom, click “Submit story” and you’re done.Stories may not immediately appear on your site, there is a delay to prevent undue server stress. They should post within 1-2 hours, or you can manually refresh the page cache to force them to appear if time is critical. If they do not appear, contact the Web Team (Jenn Crewell or Liz Katzman) to investigate. The most common issue with a story not posting properly is an incorrect start/end date, or bad code copy/pasted in from Word.
To edit/delete an old item
When you log in, a list of items you’ve entered is displayed. Click the Edit to adjust your item, including the start/end dates. If you set the display to "no", the item will disappear from your page, but still exist in the archives. Click delete to remove your item completely (although it’s preferred not to do that, archives of old items are important).
To add someone else’s item to your site
When you log in, there’s a search box. If you know the headline, you can type a few words into the Headline Keyword box and click search (or use any of the other boxes that you know information for). If you have no information, just click the Search button and it will show a reverse-chronological listing of items. The most recent ones are at the top, select the one you’d like to display and click edit. Scroll down and click the “On to Step 2” button, and select it to show on your site, then click “Submit item”.
To edit someone else’s item
You may have limited editing rights to an item that someone else has entered, but it’s considered best practice to note who entered the item, and send them an email request for amendment.