Present: Michael Arnush, Phil Boshoff, Katie Cella, Fran Hoffmann, Emily Levy, Chris McGrath, Rory McVeigh, Jon Ramsey, Amelia Rauser, Anita Steigerwald.
The Meeting began at 9:00 am, Faculty/Staff Lounge.
The minutes for the previous were corrected and approved.
Michael welcomed Katie Cella to the council, our first official HonorsForum student.
1. Honors Forum applications -
142 students were eligible
38 students applied
Some of the applications did not meet Honors Forum standards, so the Council agreed to give some students a second chance to articulate their reasons for seeking membership in the Forum. The application process will continue via email 'hfc-list' in order to select the accepted applicants.
2. Curriculum Committee Update:
- - AH101 - Art History:Survey - Katie Hauser - Approved
- - AN101N - not yet approved
- - BI190 - not yet approved
- - BI275 - was denied by CC- CC can't approve as honors without any changes, because the course was already approved as a regular course. They recommend that the course betaught for a year.
- - CL220 - Classical Mythology - Leslie Mechem - Approved
- - CH107 - Inten Gen Chemistry - Vasantha Narasimhan - Approved
- - EC104 - Intro to Microeconomics-Course Offering,TBA -Approved
- - ED200 - Child Development - Pending - Ruth Andrea Levinson - CC need more info on the Honors Component
- - EB105H - Expos. Writing - Barbara Black/Linda Simon -Approved
- - EN211H - Fiction - Linda Simon - Approved
- - EN303H - Peer Tutoring in Expos - Phil Boshoff - Approved
- - FF221 - 20th C. Literature - Lynne Gelber - Approved
- - FL263 - Fantastic in Fiction - John Anzalone - Will not be offered as Honors.
- - FS203 - Intens. Int. Spanish - Paty Rubio - Pending
- - GE113 - Dangerous Earth - Richard Lindeman - Approved
- - HI221 - American History to Civil War - Jennifer Delton - Approved
- - ID201 - LS1 Peer Tutoring - Michael Marx - Approved
- - MA111H - Calculus 1 - David Vella - Approved
- - PH103 - Intro to Philosophy - Frank Gonzalez - Approved
- - SO101 - Sociological Persp. Rory McVeigh - Approved
3. HF Member Stat:
Katherine Hjerpe - Transferred
Katelin Berkeley - withdrawn
Rosalind Rolls - withdrawn
4. Other issues:
- Guidelines for honors courses
- Caps as low was 8 and high as 25
- For regular meetings with students
1) Academic: - Anita, Amelia & Katie
Presentations for Independent Study
Andrew Cencini and Kerim Odekon
2) Academic Festival: - Amelia R. Chris, & Michael
3) Admissions: Anita, Phil, Rory & Michael
- all 10's are being invited
- 9's are being reviewed
Meeting every two weeks.
4) Mission Statement: Jon, Michael, Emily & Fran
- Operation Code
- Honors courses.
- what constitutes an honors course
- relationship between honors courses & regular courses
Cum. GPA Vs. Course GPA discussed. Council decided to retain current policy.
The Meeting adjourned at 10:00 am, next meeting Monday, March 1, Faculty/Staff Lounge.
Amelia Clarke, Secretary