Phi Alpha Theta
- completion of a minimum of 4 courses in History
- a 3.4 cumulative grade-point average in History
- a 3.2 cumulative grade-point average or better overall and be in the top 35% of the class.
*** You do NOT need to be a History Major or Minor to be Eligible!! If you think you qualify and would like to be considered for membership, please contact the Faculty Advisor.***
Phi Alpha Theta membership requires a one-time initiation fee of $40. Initiation Ceremonies are held in the Spring semester. New members receive a certificate verifying membership and a one year subscription to Phi Alpha Theta's journal, The Historian. Members will also be encouraged to participate in chapter activities, as well as various academic, service, social, membership, and other activities sponsored by our chapter. We invite you to join.
Why Become A Member?
- You receive a 1-year subscription to the Historian
- Phi Alpha Theta offers its members nine graduate scholarships, and eight various other awards.
- The International Society's placement bureau for college teaching positions. Membership is also recognized by the U.S. Civil Service Commission as a credit qualifying the member for grade GS-7 (rather than GS-5).
- Members are eligible for the six annual Paper Prize Awards of $200 each.
- National Membership is for life. And it only costs $40.
- No pledging.
- You'll finally get the chance to share your love of Macedonian court ceremony, Tudor pageantry & ancient Chinese diaries with people who understand!
- You will finally be privy to the secret initiation rites that have been passed down on parchment through generations of Phi Alpha Theta members.
(Thanks to the Tulane University Phi Alpha Theta website for many of these suggestions!)