We are often asked what it is that IT does. There are six distinct areas of IT and each one has its own focus. Below we have taken each of the groups and outlined its core functions.
• Assist faculty in the identification, piloting and implementation of technologies that support the academic mission of the college.
• Support the faculty in using a wide variety of technology-enhanced teaching tools (e.g. wikis, blogs, personal response systems, and learning management systems such as Blackboard and Moodle).
• Train and assist faculty and staff with the development of digital content for online delivery.
• Assess technology training needs across campus and provide instructional opportunities for faculty and staff.
• Manage the GIS Center and support GIS related courses and research.
• Explore emerging technologies that have potential instructional benefits.
• Provide equipment to faculty for long-term loan.
• Manage the Instructional Technology Center, where faculty and staff can receive training and use the available technology resources.
• Administer (update, backup, patch, etc.) Windows, Unix and Linux servers, which run multiple databases, applications, and custom developed software.
• Support centralized file storage and backup.
• Provide email, web and Oracle applications support.
• Support commercial software requested by the Academic and Administrative departments of the college such as Blackboard, TicketTrac, FoodPro, etc.
• Assist users with the design and development of custom applications.
• Assist users with gathering, processing, and interpreting of information relative to the administrative tasks of the college.
• Assist the college community with their presentation and event support (e.g., audio & video recording, data and video projection, sound support, and video conferencing).
• Provide support for technology enhanced classrooms.
• Provide equipment to faculty, staff, and students for short-term loan.
• Provide services including large format printing and audio/video duplication.
• Manage the Media Production Lab, where faculty, staff, and students can receive multimedia training and use the available technology resources to create digital content.
Network & Technical Services
• Administer the campus internet connection, network electronics, and network and server connectivity.
• Administer telecommunications services, including: on-campus, local, and long-distance calling services, voice mail services, conference calling, wiring requests, and telephone billing.
• Provide technical support for the campus card system.
• Coordinate with Time Warner Cable for all aspects of the residential network and the CATV network.
Strategic Planning & Communication
• Provide direction and vision in the creation and maintenance of IT policy.
• Ensure effective management of IT projects crossing functional groups.
• Coordinate major IT communication initiatives, both internal and external (e.g., website, newsletter, IT operations manual, IT annual report, campus events, etc.).
• Responsible for ensuring timely dissemination of information within the department, and when necessary, to the greater community.
• Assess IT at Skidmore using metrics such as the ECAR surveys, Educause CoreData surveys, and CLAC surveys.
• Operate the institutional technology help desk, where professional staff and students provide support via phone and email, as well as in person.
• Manage the help desk ticket tracking system.
• Install, configure, and support college-owned computers and software in the academic offices, administrative offices, public computing areas, technology enhanced classrooms, and departmental computing areas.
• Oversee the College’s plan for regular replacement of institutional computers.
• Advise members of the college community on technology hardware and software purchases.
• Assist the administrative and academic communities in the identification, development, and implementation of new technologies that support the academic mission of the college.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS
Skidmore College · 815 North Broadway · Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
© 2006 Skidmore College