Contents of a ProposalThe proposal must contain the following information in the order listed below and be submitted to the SDM Program Director electronically (as an e-mail attachment or PDF file).
(1) The student's full name, class year, local address, phone number, the names of the faculty advisors sponsoring the proposal, and the exact title of the proposed self-determined major.
(2) A description of the proposed self-determined major including:
(2.1) A typed, edited, and proofread rationale for the self-determined major (typically 2-3 pages, double-spaced). In addition to presenting the student's motivation for undertaking the proposed area of study, the rationale shows how the proposed self-determined major forms a body of knowledge rich in its potential for sustained academic study. It should contain significant, concrete examples of the intellectual connections among the areas of study proposed for the major.
(2.2) A statement of the special aspects of the program, answering the following questions:
(3) Identification by number, department, and title of the ten or more required core courses that will comprise the self-determined major (normally, at least eight courses taken at Skidmore).
(2.2a) What factors distinguish the proposed self-determined major from existing majors offered at Skidmore?
(2.2b) What, if any, specialized resources either within or outside the College are necessary for successful completion of the self-determined major? If specialized resources are needed, how will they be used?
(4) A listing of proposed elective courses related to but not included in the major core of courses.
(6) A semester by semester outline of when each core course, elective, and remaining College requirements will be taken. The program must have a minimum of 120 semester hours for the undergraduate career.
(7) Complete course descriptions and supporting documents for components of the program to be taken at institutions other than Skidmore.(8) A brief description of a final project that will serve as the capstone experience for the Self-Determined Major. A full description of the final project is not required at the time of the submission of the Self-Determined Major proposal.
(9) The student's most recent grade report (or transcript of all previous college work). The program must have a minimum of 120 semester hours for the undergraduate career.
(11) The completed proposal should be submitted electronically (as an e-mail attachment or PDF file) to the Director of the SDM Program. The original proposal, as well as any subsequent changes, must be dated and signed by the student and his or her advisors. All pages of the proposal must be numbered.