Requirements for the Self-Determined Major
- A strong academic record and a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Completion of all prerequisites necessary to undertake the proposed course of study.
- Satisfaction of the all-college requirements for the degree as defined in the Skidmore catalog.
- A course of study not already included within or directly related to a major department at Skidmore College and that does not fit within the guidelines for traditional, double, and inter-departmental majors.
- A carefully thought out and clearly written statement that defines the academic structure and unity of the self-determined program, including specific references to the ways in which course material and learning experiences (such as internships or study-abroad programs) interact to form a focused, coherent academic major.
- An academically appropriate program which is commensurate with the liberal arts and sciences objectives of the College.
- A plan of study that can be supported by a sufficient number of Skidmore courses and by Skidmore faculty with appropriate expertise and, when necessary, secondary use of neighboring or affiliated facilities and resources.
- A final project that integrates the various components of the student's major.