Skidmore Guide to Writing Index
Awkward Sentences (awk.)
Because of awkward sentence structure or word choice, the meaning of a passage can be hard to follow.
If you find that your writing is awkward
- make sure that your verb follows your subject, without any clauses in between
- include transitional words to help your reader follow your logic
- use direct, concrete words rather than high-flown language; your instructor cares about your ideas, not about your ability to use a thesaurus
- use active rather than passive construction
- if appropriate, make your subject a concrete noun
- use vivid, active verbs rather than forms of "to be."
Click here to read about other terms you may find in professors' comments.